I work for our Episcopal diocese as director of communications. But you can also email me on other issues, if you need a quote, or background, on issues that include branding, tourism, redevelopment and historic preservation. Email me at email@example.com A few select clippings; note some links may be behind paywalls:
Virtual Church: Streaming Services to Reach Community
Vulnerable populations and limited attendance have shifted the way that churches need to reach their audiences. The coronavirus pandemic has spurred many parishes to embrace technology. They’re streaming their services, connecting with people in their homes and cars as they cope with restrictions. Garland Pollard, Communications Director for the Episcopal Diocese of Southwest Florida, however, has been encouraging the parishes in his diocese to attempt this outreach strategy since he assumed his position in 2011. Church Pension Group, October, 2020.
- Tampa Bay Congregations Mull Reopening Options, Tampa Bay Times, April 30, 2020.
- Point of No Returns: Sears Leaves Chesterfield County, Virginia, Chesterfield Observer, January 29, 2020
- Happy birthday to Lance Toast-Chee crackers. Joy is Lance in your Pants, Aug. 10, 2018, Carteret County News Times.
- Iconic Sunscreen Revived in Rockledge, story by Wayne T. Price, Florida Today, April 15, 2018
- Fox News Travel looks at the tradition of house blessings, in the March 1, 2017 What is a House Blessing.
- Country Living magazine’s Maria Carter on January, 27, 2017 looked at the Southern tradition of going by your middle name.
- Teaberry Gum History, Chesterfield Observer, Stuck on You. Writer Rich Griset details the gum’s history while owned by Richmond’s Philip Morris.
- A&P Looks To Sell Brand Names, Bergen Record, by Joan Verdon, Oct. 23, 2015
- In Cincinnati Business Courier, 100-Year Old Startups: Why Two Old Brands Were Reborn by Andy Brownfield, details the rebirth of the brands Christian Moerlein and Rookwood Pottery.
- Screen It and They Will Come, a story on drive-in theaters as an investment in Goochland, by Don Harrison, Style Weekly, Sept. 2, 2009.
- Quoted on the new Open Florida program of VISIT FLORIDA, Sarasota Herald-Tribune, March 28, 2007 Tourism marketing tossing away script
- Commends bloggers for digging for info on boondoggle Virginia Center for Performing Arts, The Hook, Charlottesville, November 2005
- “Delta efficiency push has travelers racing”, Richmond Times Dispatch, July 16, 2005 Delta efficiency push has travelers racing to make flights
- “Uniqueness makes for great destination marketing,” Winchester Star, June 1, 2005 http://www.winchesterstar.com/TheWinchesterStar
- Richmond Times-Dispatch on Top 5 Growth Companies in Richmond, Cape Fear Publishing, owner of Virginia Living magazine
Old, new Richmond firms form top 5 in growth rankings
- “Mayor takes strong stand for preservation,” Richmond Times-Dispatch, Sept. 16, 2004
- “New Magazine Showcases Virginia,” The Hook, Charlottesville, June, 2003. MORE
- Interview in National Geographic Traveler, story on Virginia by Andrew Nelson, October 2003, entitled On the road: down the river of time, in search of the authentic
- Efforts at filing Freedom of Information Act request for Inside Business. “The Cost of Encouraging Public Debate” April 29, 2002.
Way Old Stuff, Just for Fun
- Profile of Peace Frogs founder Catesby Jones, Daily Press, Nov. 28, 1995
Virginian Entrepreneur Operates Peace Frogs Merchandising Empire. (Newport News, Va.)
- Review of Bubba book and companion Bubba magazine, “Bubba Good-Naturedly Fills a Satiric Void,” reviewed by Los Angeles Times, Feb. 18, 1993, By Bob Sipchen.